- "My dad said something to me after the divorce. He said every soldier has two families. Those you raise, and those you raise hell with. I've spent eight days here. Eight days commanding a squad I wasn't ready to lead. Eight days watching my men, my family, kill and be killed. Eight days wishing it would stop."
- — Baker's Monologue
No Better Spot to Die is the 20th chapter of Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30. It is the last chapter that have gameplay.
- 1 Summary
- 2 Plot
- 3 Objectives
- 4 Characters
- 5 Weapons
- 6 Teams
- 7 Transcript
- 8 Extras
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Difference in the PS2 version
Hill 30. After eight days in Normandy, Baker's most difficult test as a squad leader is imminent...
Baker's squad are late for the battle of Hill 30 as the battle intensify between the Germans and the Americans. Corrion was choosing a spot for unknown reason that the squad doesn't know. Red gives a speech before they go to the main line.
On their way, they encounter German resistance which dealt swiftly. They reach the main line and meet Mac who brief Baker about the battle situation. Suddenly, a mortar round hit the ground, wounding Baker and Mac. Baker soon woke up from his unconsciousness and join the fight to defend the line. However, the line is under fire from German attackers and tank support. Soon a tank shot which cause to knockout Baker, before he went unconscious he saw Leggett asking the tank to kill him which the tank did.
Baker woke up once more and told by Mac that the armored support that Leggett called are somewhere nearby and Baker alone needs to find them. Baker while traversing the forest, encounter German soldiers and tanks in the area, fighting or avoiding as he can. He reach the bridge where 2nd Armored Division arrived to support the paratroopers.
Baker guide the tanks to the battlefield while at the same time, clearing any obstacles in their way. The tanks arrived at the battlefield and easily defeat the German attacking force, resulted in an American victory. Baker reunite with his squad and they all talk about their experience during the battle.
Defend Hill 30
Having lost Carentan, the Germans will counter attack with everything they have. The 101st are the only thing that can stop them.
Link up with 2nd Armored Division
Find the Allied tanks that driven in Omaha beach and use them to route the German counter-attack away from Hill 30
- Captain Joseph Baker (indirectly mentioned in introduction)
- Staff Sergeant Gregory Hassay
- Sergeant Matthew Baker
- Sergeant Jackson (does not speak)
- Sergeant Kilroy
- Corporal Samuel Corrion
- Corporal Joseph Hartsock
- Private First Class Jack Courtland (does not speak)
- Private First Class Kevin Leggett (KIA)
- Private First Class Harry Wheaton
- Private First Class Thomas Zanovich
- Private Richard Doe (does not speak, KIA)
- Private Nicholas Hooper
- Private Reece Jameson
- Private Thomas Locke (does not speak)
- Private Dale McCreary
- Private James York (does not speak, KIA)
Americans Weapons and Vehicles
German Weapons and Vehicles
- Cpl. Hartsock - B.A.R. M1918
- Pfc. Zanovich - M1 Garand
- Cpl. Corrion - M1A1 Thompson
- Pfc. Courtland - M1A1 Carbine
- Pvt. McCreary - M1A1 Carbine
- Sgt. Jackson - Sherman Tank
- Sgt. Kilroy - Sherman Tank
- Main article: No Better Spot to Die/Transcript
Pre-Production Animatic of Hill 30 Sequence
60 Years Later - Gearbox at Hill 30
Paratrooper set up along the hedgerow line East of Hill 30 near Carentan. Beyond the hedgerow, the hill rises for a classic reverse-slope defense.
Almost 60 years later, Gearbox photographed this view through the hedge looking up at the crest of Hill 30.
The Germans advanced from the left, and the paratroopers hit them from their positions behind the hedgerow line as they crossed the crest of the hill.
Col. Antal describes the reverse-slope defense at Hill 30 for a television documentary. The spire of the Carentan cathedral can be seen on the skyline.
Gearbox artist stand on the railroad track bridge that marked the extreme North flank of the counter-attack at Hill 30.
BiA Director, Randy Pitchford, and Colonel John Antal stand behind the hedgerow where the 502 PIR fought at Hill 30.
Link Up with 2nd Armored Division - Col. Antal Briefing
On June 13th, 1944, the 101st Airborne Division held the vital town of Carentan, but just barely.
To defend Carentan, the Paratroopers needed to secure the high ground to the west.
The German attack to re-capture Carentan drove to within 500 yards of the edge of the town.
The 2nd Battalion, 502nd Parachute Infantry, moved down to the 506th Parachute Infantry's right flank and helped to regain some of the lost ground.
But the attack threatened the junction of the Utah and Omaha Beach-heads so seriously, that the Americans decided to sent tanks to repel the German counter-attack.
At 10:30am, elements of Combat Command A, 2nd Armored Division, which had fought their way from Omaha Beach, arrived in Carentan.
The co-ordinated efforts of the tanks, the infantry and the artillery, threw the Germans back and saved Carentan.
This moment is re-created in the final, climatic battle in Brothers in Arms.
Deleted Scene - Nine Days Earlier
- If you point at Jameson, there will another name tag, other that of Jameson's to his left, there will be a name tag, 'Pvt. Soldier'.
- When Baker reaches the ditch, the paratroopers' weapons all use the M1 Garand sound effects.
- When Baker returns with the 2nd Armored Division, all of 3rd squad is back. Corrion, Hartsock (without 2nd squad), Zanovich, McCreary, and Courtland have returned.
Difference in the PS2 version
- Baker's M1A1 Thompson is replaced by B.A.R.
- Courtland and McCreary are part of the Base-of-Fire team, carrying an M1 Garand whilst Zanovich is equipped with a B.A.R.
- Red and Corrion are part of the Assault Team, equipped with M1 Carbine.
- On the other side of the fallen tree, there are 3 soldiers.
- York, Doe, and Leggett's name tags still show even after their deaths.
- Everyone in Baker's squad used an M1 Garand in the ditch, and they're marked as Assault Team.
- Garnett and Desola's dead bodies were reused.
- Leggett fires more than 3 shots.
- Leggett said when baker wakes up:"I Think he's coming to".