- "I never asked to be squad leader, but I had no choice. Now I've got thirteen soldiers under my command. Thirteen men depending on me to make the right decisions and not get them killed. Thirteen families relying on me to bring their husbands and sons home. Thirteen. Thirteen is not a lucky number."
- — Baker's Monologue
Rendezvous with Destiny is the 2nd chapter (chronologically first) in Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30. It is basically a tutorial mission on basic controls.
Summary[edit | edit source]
Sgt. Baker, struggling to accept his new role as squad leader, has arranged to be the first one to jump in his stick of troopers...
Plot[edit | edit source]
It began with 3rd Squad in the plane waiting to jump out the plane while Baker monologue his thoughts being a squad leader. Soon, Mac ready the squad and preparing to jump. However, a Flak hits the plane and the squad is in disarray. Baker is ordered to stand at the entrance of the plane. Soon, the plane is hit again and Baker is forced to jump out, he managed to open his parachute and reach safely. He meets up with Mac and he gave Baker a pistol due to Baker loses his gear. They soon surprised two Germans who were checking a lifeless corpse of the paratrooper and kill them with ease. Mac check his map to find where are they at before moving out. Baker and Mac found Leggett and Cole near a house. They ask the resident in the house for location and revealed that they are at north east of St Mere Eglise. With the knowledge, Cole order Mac, Baker and Leggett to link anybody in their way.
Objectives[edit | edit source]
Get to the nearest crossroad[edit | edit source]
Tou've been knocked out of your plane and mis-dropped. Look for allied paratroopers and use your compass to guide your way.
Follow Mac's orders[edit | edit source]
Platoon Sergeant, "Mac" Hassay, dropped just after you. He outranks you, so follow his orders until you link up with the squad.
Characters[edit | edit source]
- Lieutenant Colonel Robert G. Cole
- Staff Sergeant Gregory Hassay
- Sergeant Matthew Baker (Playable)
- Corporal Joseph Hartsock
- Corporal Samuel Corrion (does not speak)
- Private First Class Thomas Zanovich (not named, does not speak)
- Private First Class Stephan Obrieski (not named, does not speak)
- Private First Class Jack Courtland (not named)
- Private First Class Kevin Leggett
- Private Larry Allen
- Private Michael Desola (not named, does not speak)
- Private Michael Garnett
- Private Dale McCreary (not named)
- Private David Muzza (not named, KIA)
- Private Johnny Rivas (not named, does not speak)
- French Woman
Weapons[edit | edit source]
- Colt M1911 (got from Mac)
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
This chapter is easy to complete as it serve as a tutorial for people new to shooters and the Brothers in Arms series. You learn the control as you traverse the area. You will receive a pistol from Mac and encounter 2 enemies hanging around a dead paratrooper. You either try to shoot one of the enemy or let Mac kill the rest of them.
The rest of the chapter is you following Mac until you meet Leggett and Cole. After the cutscene, the chapter ends.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Rendezvous with Destiny/Transcript
Extras[edit | edit source]
Colonel John Antal Biography - Any Difficulty[edit | edit source]
Colonel John F. Antal, U.S. Army (Retired), served 30 years in the U.S. Army.
He entered the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1973 and retired July 31, 2003.
Antal has commanded U.S. combat soldiers at every level from platoon to regiment.
Antal is an Airborne Ranger and has earned the Expert Infantryman's Badge.
He served in combat units in Germany, Korea, Kuwait and the United States.
He commanded an M1A1 tank battalion in the volatile demilitarized zone in Korea.
His last Army assignment was operations officer (G3) for the 165,000 man III Armored Corps at Fort Hood, TX.
Antal now serves as military historian and adviser to Gearbox Software on gaming titles such as Brothers in Arms.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In the plane scene, all members of the 3rd Squad are present. The order goes from front to back:
- Left: Baker, Baker, Zanovich, Garnett, Obrieski, Rivas and Muzza
- Right: Mac, Red, Corrion, Leggett, Courtland, Desola and McCreary
- Muzza was the first to die in this mission when the plane got hit by a Flak. It wasn't known until Red mentioned in Bookends (Part 1) chapter.
- On PSP there's a M1 Garand under the dead paratrooper and one of the two Germans next to him is using a P-38, due to this and the next level being merged the player is also able to pick up weapons in this level. while the other versions don't let you
Difference in the PS2 version[edit | edit source]
- The mission ends as soon as Baker lands.